Dr. Yang Li D.M.D., M.Sc.D., C.A.G.S.,F.R.C.D.(C), Diplomate, American Board of Orthodontics
Dr. Yang Li was born and raised in the beautiful and historic city of Xi’an, China. During her teenage years, she moved to Montreal, Canada with her loving parents, where she picked up her tolerance for cold weather and fair share of Canadian niceness. She earned her Doctorate in Dental Medicine (D.M.D) at the prestigious McGill University where she graduated at the top of her class with honors and awards.
After an advanced residency in general dentistry in San Francisco, she realized her passion for straightening teeth and longed to be on the East Coast again. She then moved to Boston where she attended Boston University for her Orthodontic residency. At Boston University, she received her Certificate in Advanced Graduate Studies (C.A.G.S) in orthodontics and maxillofacial orthopedics, as well as a Master of Science in Dentistry after three years of specialized graduate training. Upon graduation, she came full-circle as she was invited by the chair of the department to become a part-time clinical instructor for the orthodontic residents from the very same program she graduated from!
Dr. Li enjoys the challenges and rewards of working with each unique patient. It is her goal to provide long lasting, stunning smiles, and an experience second to none. In addition to conventional metal braces, she is trained in the latest aesthetic options for orthodontics including Invisalign, lingual braces (Incognito), ceramic (tooth-colored) braces and orthodontic mini-implants. She also works closely with esteemed oral and maxillofacial surgeons for different options of surgical orthodontic treatments.
Outside of her career in teeth-straightening and smile-making, Dr. Li loves to spend time with her husband David, their family and close friends. A huge foodie, she loves to try out delicious dishes other people make and cooking or baking herself. She will always welcome suggestions about where to find great foods and new recipes to try. You can find Dr. Li and her husband around town pretending to be tourists, watching plays, listening to concerts and sometimes just playing videogames on the couch. Her one big regret in life is that she wasn’t better at sports, but she just recently learned to ski so there might be hope for her after all!
Honors and Awards
- American Association of Orthodontists Award, for exceptional interests in development in orofacial complex
- Case of the Month, as selected by Northeastern Society of the Orthodontics
- The McConnell Award, on the basis of high academic standing in the top 5% of the dental student body
- Dr. AL Walsh Prize and Dr. IK Lowry Award, for meritorious achievement in oral medicine and highest standing in the Management of Oral Disease unit
- Dr. Lyman E. Francis Prize, for highest standing in the subjects of Pathobiology, Treatment and Prevention of Disease, Dental Pharmacology, Oral Pathology and Medicine
- Dr. A. Gerald Racey Prize, for excellence in the comprehensive examination in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Other recognition Dr. Li has received include: Dean’s Honor List, Dr. JK Carver Award, Dr. Gerald Franklin Prize, Dr. LA Cohn Prize, Dr. DP Mowry Award, James McGill Award and McGill Certificate of Merit, and Marianopolis Scholar
Publications and Research Papers
- Y Li, L.A. Will. Effect of Posterior Crossbite on Lower Face Height, a CBCT study. Poster presentation in the International and American Association for Dental Research (IADR) Session in March, 2013
- Article Review “The Association between Anterior Crossbite, Deep Bite, and TMJ Morphology – Annals of Anatomy” published in American Journal of Orthodontics November 2012
- Y Li, M Dai, T Head, M McKee, S Tran. What is the recommended dental management for patients who are receiving bisphosphonate therapy? JCDA, Sept 2008, Vol 74, No. 7.
- Bisphosphonate and You, a patient brochure on bisphosphonates, available online at www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-74/issue-7